Our group's goal is to investigate the molecular mechanisms of ageing that lead to degeneration in age-related diseases of the brain and retina, with a particular emphasis on proteostasis.
Cellular ageing means the progressive decline of several molecular mechanisms that protect DNA, proteins, and organelles from damage, resulting in a gradual loss of cellular functions, and ultimately in cell death.
Our group's goal is to investigate the molecular mechanisms of ageing that lead to degeneration in age-related diseases of the brain and retina, with a particular emphasis on proteostasis. Our purpose is to use that knowledge to develop new therapeutic approaches for diseases such as Parkinson's disease, diabetic retinopathy, and age-related macular degeneration in close collaboration with clinicians.
As models, we use cellular models (from yeast to human cells), and brain and retinal organoids.
- 2022-2024 - "Exploring a human retinal organoid model of early Diabetic Retinopathy for drug discovery”
CHARNECO DA COSTA Grant- Sociedade Portuguesa de Diabetologia
PI: Sandra Tenreiro
- 2021-2022 - "Modelling hyperglycemia through human retinal organoids: a 3D model of early Diabetic retinopathy for drug discovery"
PI: Sandra Tenreiro; Co-PIs: Gabriela Silva (NMS) and Cláudia Nunes dos Santos (NMS).
- 2021-2022 - "Exosomes in transcellular proteostasis and Age-Related Macular Degeneration"
Co-PI: Sandra Tenreiro;PI: João Ferreira (NMS).
- 2018-2022- "Recovering neuronal function and promoting neuroprotection in diabetic retinopathy”
Project 29656 (IC&DT – AAC n.º 02/SAICT/2017)
PI: Sandra Tenreiro
- Flores R, Carneiro A, TENREIRO S, Seabra MC. 2021. Retinal Progression Biomarkers of Early and Intermediate Age-Related Macular Degeneration. Life. Doi: 10.3390/life12010036. Online ahead of print. Review.
- Flores R, Carneiro A, Vieira M, TENREIRO S, Seabra MC. 2021. Age-Related Macular Degeneration: Pathophysiology, Management, and Future Perspectives. Ophthalmologica. Doi: 10.1159/000517520. Online ahead of print. Review.
- Escrevente C, Falcão AS, Hall MJ, Lopes-da-Silva M, Antas P, Mesquita MM, Ferreira IS, Cardoso MH, Oliveira D, Fradinho AC, Ciossek T, Nicklin P, Futter CE, TENREIRO S, Seabra MC. 2021. Formation of Lipofuscin-Like Autofluorescent Granules in the Retinal Pigment Epithelium Requires Lysosome Dysfunction. Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science. 62:39.
- Ferreira C, Couceiro J, TENREIRO S, Quintas A. 2021. A biophysical perspective on the unexplored mechanisms driving Parkinson's disease by amphetamine-like stimulants. Neural Regeneration Research. 16:2213-4. Review.
- Flores R, Carneiro A, Serra J, Gouveia N, Pereira T, Mendes JM, Coelho PS, TENREIRO S, Seabra MC. 2021. Correlation Study Between Drusen Morphology and Fundus Autofluorescence. Retina. 41:555–62.
- Klionsky DJ, et al, 2021 Guidelines for the use and interpretation of assays for monitoring autophagy (4th edition) Autophagy. 17:1-382.
- Ferreira C, Almeida C, TENREIRO S, Quintas A. 2020. Neuroprotection or Neurotoxicity of Illicit Drugs on Parkinson's Disease. Life 10:86. doi: 10.3390/life10060086. Review.
- Ferreira C, Couceiro J, Família C, Jardim C, Antas P, Santos CN, Outeiro TF, TENREIRO S, Quintas A. The synthetic cannabinoid JWH-018 modulates S. cerevisiae energetic metabolism. 2019. FEMS Yeast Research. 19 :foz042. DOI: 10.1093/femsyr/foz042
Prizes and Awards
- Charneco da Costa Grant 2022 from Sociedade Portuguesa de Diabetologia;
- Paper Marked as Editor's Choice: The paper Ferreira et al., 2020 was handpicked by the section editor-chief, Prof. Dr. Ramón Cacabelos, from Life journal, as the best paper 2020;
- Top Altmetric Scoring Article and Paper Marked as Editor's Choice: The paper Ferreira et al., 2019 was in the top 10 highest Altmetric scores of all papers published in the FEMS Yeast Research journal in 2019.
PhD Opportunities @ Sandra Tenreiro & Paula Macedo Labs
- António Cuadrado, Faculty of Medicine Autonomous University of Madrid, Spain
- Donata Wawrzycka, Department of Genetics and Cell Physiology, Institute of Experimental Biology, University of Wroclaw, Poland
- Alexandre Quintas, Instituto Superior de Ciências da Saúde Egas Moniz, Lisboa.
- Susana Simões and Lino Ferreira, Faculty of Medicine, University of Coimbra.
- Catarina Brito, ITQB NOVA - Instituto de Tecnologia Química e Biológica António Xavier, Oeiras.
- Evguenia Bekman, Stem Cell Engineering and Regenerative Medicine Research Group, Institute for Bioengineering and Biosciences, Instituto Superior Técnico, Lisboa.
- Federico Herrera, Faculty of Sciences, Universidade de Lisboa.
- João Raposo, MD and Rogério Ribeiro, Associação Protetora dos Diabéticos de Portugal
- Nuno Matela, Instituto de Biofísica e Engenharia Biomédica, Departamento de Física da Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa
- Cláudia Nunes dos Santos, NOVA Medical School, UNL
- Gabriela Silva, NOVA Medical School, UNL.
- Rune Matthiesen, NOVA Medical School, UNL.
- Paulo Pereira, NOVA Medical School, UNL.
- António Jacinto, NOVA Medical School, UNL.